The Long Weekend Tour
3-day Bulgaria Tour Itinerary
View all of the most important historic and cultural sites of Bulgaria in one Long Weekend. Your private 3-day cultural tour will include the stunning Valley of the Roses, the ancient splendour of the Kazanlak Thracian Tombs and Veliko Tarnovo – as well as the chance to see more modern sights like the Buzludzha Monument.
You’ll also have city tours through some of Bulgaria’s most interesting towns. These include Plovdiv – the oldest inhabited city in Europe and European Capital of Culture – and the architectural reserve of Melnik with its Earth Pyramids.
All of this is in the company of your deeply knowledgeable, licensed local tour guide and personal driver. You’ll control the air conditioning in your roomy minivan and are free to add or remove to stops to create your dream Bulgarian weekend trip itinerary.
Here’s what you’ll see:
Rila Monastery, Melnik, Plovdiv, The Rose Valley, Kazanlak, the Thracian Tombs, Shipka Pass and Church, Buzludzha Monument (optional) and historic Veliko Tarnovo.
3-Day Bulgaria Long Weekend Tour Itinerary
We can easily tailor this tour around your dates and interests – and send you a free, personalized quote.
Let us know if you would like to start and finish in different cities, add or remove an attraction, add a day for rest.
You choose the places and the pace!
→ Transfer to the Rila monastery (2-2:30 hours)→ Guided tour of the monastery
Visit the Rila Monastery museum and complex→ Transfer to Melnik (the smallest city in Bulgaria a.k.a. The Bulgarian Capital of Wine)
Sightseeing and wine tasting in local winery (optional)Overnight in Melnik
→ Walking city tour of Plovdiv
Visit The Old Town (dating from the 19th century); the exterior of the Ethnographic museum; Balabanov house; the Ancient theatre of Philippopolis; the Ancient stadium of Philipopolis; the St. Constantin and Elena church; the Djumaya Mosque and square; the building of the Regional Historical Museum; Saint Ludvik Cathedral; the Agara (Marketplace); the famous main pedestrian street; “The Trap” neighbourhood and Nebet Tepe.
→ Free time in Plovdiv in the afternoon
Overnight in Plovdiv
→ Visit the Rose Valley and Kazanlak area
Explore the Thracian Tomb in Kazanlak or the Buzludzha Monument
→ Transfer to Veliko Tarnovo via Shipka pass (1.5-2 hours)
Short city tour of Veliko Tarnovo
Visit the Tsarevets Fortress and the famous craft street
→ Transfer back to Sofia (3-3.5 hours)
End of the tour
What your tour price includes
- Local knowledge and interaction – your friendly, fully licensed English-speaking tour guide will bridge the language gap between yourself and the locals you’ll meet. They will also offer deep local insight and knowledge to lend colour to your trip.
- Complete customisation – do you want to do your tour back-to-front? How about skipping a site? Or adding one? We’re always happy to meet your needs.
- All fees included – the only things we don’t include are your food, drinks and personal expenses. Everything else will be clearly described in your quote.
- Flexible, expansive travel – although we usually have a smaller group focus, we can easily accommodate large group bookings of up to 50 people.
- Enjoy your dream private tour of Bulgaria – ride in your spacious, air-conditioned vehicle as you set times, destinations and more!
Tell us about your perfect Bulgaria travel itinerary now
Email us now or fill in the form to tell us about the Bulgaria trip you’ve been imagining.
We provide free quotes and more information any time you need them.
Private tour! No other tourists!
Friendly local tour guide
Starting point and time at your convenience
Breaks and photo stops at your convenience
Pay cash at the end of the tour
- Licensed local tour guide
- Entrance for the museums (upon request)
- Food and drinks
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
Good to Know
Wear comfortable clothes and shoes is recommended
Don’t forget your camera