Bulgaria Tour – 4 Historic Towns in 4 Days
If you’ve got four days to spare in your next trip to Bulgaria, this is the best way to spend it. On this private tour, your fully licensed local English-speaking tour guide will take you to four of the most incredible cities Bulgaria has to offer:
Ancient Veliko Tarnovo; Melnik – the so-called Capital of Wine; Plovdiv, the European Capital of Culture and Koprivshtitsa, a classic Bulgarian mountain town famous for its folk music and preserved architecture.
Plus, of course, you’ll see some of the most important natural and ancient human sites of Bulgaria. Tour the beautiful Valley of the Roses, monasteries and more.
Here’s what you’ll see:
Rila Monastery, Melnik, Plovdiv, Bachkovo Monastery, The Rose Valley, Kazanlak, the Thracian Tombs, Shipka Pass and Church, Buzludzha Monument (optional), Veliko Tarnovo, Koprivshtitsa.
Bulgaria 4-Day Historic Town Tour Itinerary
We can easily tailor this tour around your dates and interests – and send you a free, personalized quote.
Let us know if you would like to start and finish in different cities, add or remove an attraction, add a day for rest.
You choose the places and the pace!
Depart from Sofia in the morning
→ Transfer to the Rila Monastery (2-2.5 hours)
→ Guided tour of the monastery
Visit the Rila Monastery museum and complex
→ Transfer to Melnik (the smallest city in Bulgaria a.k.a. The Bulgarian Capital of Wine)
Sightseeing and wine tasting in local winery (optional)
Overnight in Melnik
→ Transfer to Plovdiv, The European Capital of Culture (4 hours)
→ Walking city tour of Plovdiv
Visit The Old Town (dating from the 19th century); the exterior of the Ethnographic museum; Balabanov house; the Ancient theatre of Philippopolis; the Ancient stadium of Philipopolis; the St. Constantin and Elena church; the Djumaya Mosque and square; the building of the Regional Historical Museum; Saint Ludvik Cathedral; the Agara (Marketplace); the famous main pedestrian street; “The Trap” neighbourhood and Nebet Tepe.
→ Free time in Plovdiv in the afternoon
Overnight in Plovdiv
→ Depart from Plovdiv after breakfast
→ Transfer to Bachkovo Monastery (30-40 min)
Explore the monastery complex
→ Transfer to Koprivshtitsa mountain village (2 hours)
→ Walking city tour of Koprivshtitsa
Visit the exterior of Dimchodebelyanov house, Uspenie Bogorodichno Church, the first Bulgarian school from 1843, The Forestry House, the exterior of the Georgi Benkovski House, the library, Todor Kableshkov’s house from the outside, the liberation square and the “First Gun” bridge.
Overnight in Koprivshtitsa
→ Depart after breakfast from your hotel in Koprivshtitsa
→ Visit the Rose Valley and Kazanlak area
Explore the Thracian Tomb in Kazanlak
→ Transfer to Veliko Tarnovo via Shipka pass (1.5- 2 hours)
→ Short city tour of Veliko Tarnovo
Visit the Tsarevets Fortress and the famous craft street
→ Transfer back to Sofia (3-3.5 hours)
End of the tour
What your tour price includes
- Your friendly personal tour guide – your tour guide will offer you extensive knowledge and background about almost anything you see. They’ll also be able to help you interact with the friendly locals.
- Flexible routes and stops – would you prefer to do the tour in reverse? Would you like to see something else en route or skip a stop? We’ll customise your tour to meet your wants.
- No extra costs – your quote will include all transport costs and there are never any extra fees. The only things we don’t normally include are food, drinks and personal expenses.
- Perfect for larger groups – we specialise in small group tours, but we also regularly cater to large group bookings of up to 50 people.
- A personal, private tour of Bulgaria – your roomy, air-conditioned minivan is for you and your nearest and dearest alone.
Talk to us about your ideal Bulgaria trip today
What would really make your dream tour of Bulgaria?
Let us know today by email or by filling in the form below. We can help you customise your 4-day tour itinerary and get a free quote now.
Private tour! No other tourists!
Friendly local tour guide
Starting point and time at your convenience
Breaks and photo stops at your convenience
Pay cash at the end of the tour
- Licensed local tour guide
- Entrance for the museums (upon request)
- Food and drinks
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
Good to Know
Wear comfortable clothes and shoes is recommended
Don’t forget your camera